August, 20-24 /2018 Austria
“Modern Leadership & Strategic Planning ”
Total Cost per trainee
Date of course
August, 20-24 /2018
- Leaders of organizations with the responsibility to steer their firms in times of change, whilst motivating and inspiring their teams.
- Chairpersons, board members and directors.
- Heads of departments.
- Senior managers and executives.
- Team members who wish to know the principles and practice of Modern strategic leadership to support and complement the contribution of their leaders.
Upon completion of this course, you will be able to understand:
- Ideas associated with the use of power by those in a position of authority.
- How ‘teams’ work and the idea of ‘Modern Distributed Leadership’.
- The role leaders play in change processes.
- The development of leaders within organizations as a key theme in terms of ensuring the organization thrives.
- The need for strategic leaders.
- Formulate and execute strategic plans to meet objectives
- Apply strategy planning processes at an organizational and department level
- Assess the business environment through SWOT analysis
- Identify strategic options for long-term competitive advantage
Implement strategies to deliver results
Power, Influence, and Authority
- What is ‘power’?
- Dimensions of power
- Sources of power
- The dark side of power
Leadership and Teams
- Team models theories
- Normative team models
- Descriptive team models
- Individual role models –
- Margerison-McCann team management wheel
- Time or phase-based models
- Team mental model
- Distributed leadership
Leadership and Change
- History of change
- Different approaches to change
- Models of the change process
- Individual reaction to change
- Politics of change
- What is leadership development?
- Why bother?
- Organizational factors
- Leadership and competencies
- How are leaders developed?
- What is ‘strategic leadership’?
- Do we need strategic leaders?
- The modern environment
- What does a strategic leader ‘do’?
Fundamentals of Strategic Planning
- Defining strategy
- Components of strategy
- Discovering why strategies fail
- Clarifying your organization’s mission, vision and core competencies
- The benefits of strategic planning
- The need for strategic planning
- Assessing tools and processes for strategic planning
Developing the Strategy
- Ensuring organizational capabilities are appropriate for the strategic environment
- Analyzing how competitive and other environmental factors shape strategy
- Determining the impact of operating and remote environments
- Assessing the external environment for individual departments
- Identifying your customers and their needs
- Assessing external forces
- Analyzing your operating and external environment
- Initiating a SWOT analysis
- Prioritizing opportunities and threats
- Categorizing the external environment with checklists
- Auditing internal capabilities
- Identifying strengths by business function
- Recognizing vulnerabilities
- Expanding the SWOT analysis
Identifying Strategic Options
- Evaluating factors for choosing strategy
- Mapping strategies to product or market life cycle
- Aligning strategies with capabilities of the organization
- Choosing strategies to meet stakeholder expectations
- Selecting appropriate strategic models
- Identifying sources of competitive advantage
- Implications of growth and diversification strategies
- Global strategies for sourcing, operations and marketing
Formulating Your Strategic Plan
- Considering strategic planning approaches
- Issue-centric, Entrepreneurial and Holistic planning
- Assessing organizational readiness
- Building the plan
- Key components of a strategic plan
- Operationalizing the strategic plan
- Identifying opportunities with portfolio management and gap analysis techniques
- Linking strategy to actions
- Aligning strategy with six key organizational factors
- Identifying gaps between current and needed capabilities
- Establishing appropriate objectives and milestones
- Managing culture, human resources, skills, processes and structure for strategy execution
- Initiating programmers and projects for implementing strategy
Executing Your Strategy for Success
- Managing stakeholder expectations
- Establishing effective communication mechanisms
- Aligning culture to strategic direction
- Linking rewards to performance
- Managing the inevitable change
- Maximizing results with applied processes
- Connecting people to the execution of strategy
- Establishing and maintaining communications
- Designing effective information systems
- Organizing to execute in line with strategy
Monitoring and Controlling Implementation
- Establishing Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
- Setting up metrics to measure performance
- Monitoring progress with dashboards
- Deploying Balanced Scorecards
- Dimensions of strategic control
- Detecting changes in assumptions
- Coping with a dynamic environment
- Adjusting for unanticipated events
YOU AS LEADER
- Talent, competencies, and mindsets needed for different strategies
- New strategy implementation as a change management program
- The role of the top team in setting the example
- Building coalitions for change
- Your leadership style and behavior
- Exemplary leadership practices
- Motivating diverse teams and organizations
GETTING INTO ACTION
- Practice communicating your implementation plan as you would to your staff
- How to make strategy actionable
- Managing complexity, scale and pace
- Managing multiple projects and setting priorities
- Managing risks to implementation